XInput and HID - architecture

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:45:31 CDT 2016

Hi Juan,

Let me reply to the start of the thread before diving into the
specifics on calibration.

In my opinion, I'm not sure what the best way would be to handle
passing of HID data to xinput. The main thing to consider as part of
this is handling of non-native xinput devices (e.g. DS4 or
SteamController) provided we want to support this. Aside from passing
up the HID data the other challenge for xinput devices is the
enumeration part, which many (older) games do through a mixture of
WMI, dinput and xinput. For this to work we need to report an actual
xinput gamepad.

My feeling would be for xinput to be quite stupid like it is on
Windows and feed it xbox controller compatible HID reports with the
same axes ranges, rumble ranges as the xbox controller. For more
custom devices you may want to support special handling e.g. button
emulation using touchpad on DS4 or maybe even on SteamController.

As you have seen the xbox controller lacks proper HID descriptors and
on Windows the drivers fake descriptors to allow DirectInput to work
as well. We would be doing something not to different. For the
DirectInput I would report the real device name and the real ranges,
similar if games use raw input (not sure if there are games which do
this).

Thanks,
Roderick