prelink

Kyle Auble kyle.auble at zoho.com
Sat Mar 19 18:55:23 CDT 2016

On 03/19/2016 05:27 PM, version2013 at openmailbox.org wrote:
> According to [1], prelink is no longer needed.
>
> When I configure wine-1.9.6, I get the warning message,
> "configure: WARNING: prelink not found and linker does not support
> relocation, base address of core dlls won't be set correctly."
>

> [1] http://oldwiki.winehq.org/Prelink

Hi there,

So I'm not one of the devs but my first question would be are your
build-tools (specifically the linker, "ld" for gnu or "lld" for clang)
relatively up-to-date? Prelink used to be the default way to set the
DLLs in a specific memory location (for the occasional program that
expects that), but prelink brings a lot of baggage with it.

I think Fedora actually stopped packaging prelink altogether a while
back, and I know Debian no longer builds their wine packages with it.
Apparently there are other ways to solve any problem that prelink can,
but you also need some newer linker features.

For a little background, here's a mailing-list discussion...
https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2015-August/108695.html
... and here's the patch that explains your warning message:
http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/commit/a35f9a13a80fa93c251e12402a73a38a89ec397f

Kyle