Question about wine XWindow to HWND mapping

Brandon Adkins badkins79 at msn.com
Mon Mar 21 12:31:54 CDT 2016

Hi guys.
I am working on porting a Windows application over to Linux, and my hope is to use Wine to make that go as quickly as possible. In my research, I have found one possible hangup, and hopefully you guys can answer it in a few minutes, vs the week or so of work for me to test it out myself.
Long story short, I have an application which creates child HWNDs. The application also launches separate processes. When WM_PAINT messages come in for those child HWNDs, it passes the HWND to one of the other processes, and that other process is the one that actually draws on it.
This works great on Windows. But I have found out that Wine only makes XWindows for top level HWNDs. So my question is: Can an application in wine perform operations (like drawing, BitBlting) onto a child HWND owned by another process?
Any tips or guidance you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Best regards!