[11/23] wined3d: Implement primitive restart index.

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:14:14 CST 2016

, if we care about it2016-11-14 8:52 GMT-06:00 Henri Verbeet
<hverbeet at gmail.com>:
> On 13 November 2016 at 23:42, Matteo Bruni <matteo.mystral at gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAICS this function was added in OpenGL 3.1 and there is no specific
>> ARB extension for it. Maybe adding a new WINED3D_GL_ entry to flag the
>> availability of the function is a good idea.
>> Also you probably want to MAP_GL_FUNCTION() the NV variant to the core
>> one and add an entry for GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility to core_extensions.
>>
> Do we need the NV extension? I'd somewhat expect any supported driver
> that has NV_primitive_restart to also have ARB_ES3_compatibility, but
> I don't have a good overview.

Me neither. A quick look at
https://people.freedesktop.org/~imirkin/glxinfo suggests that's a
valid expectation on Mesa for GPUs which can potentially support SM4.
Apparently macOS doesn't report neither ARB_ES3_compatibility nor
NV_primitive_restart, though. The only option there is to use OpenGL
3.1 glPrimitiveRestartIndex() without PRIMITIVE_RESTART_FIXED_INDEX
i.e. essentially the NV codepath.

That said, it would be easier to just drop the NV_ part altogether for
the time being and add a pre - ARB_ES3_compatibility codepath later
on, if and when it will make sense.