Steam in Windows 7 mode

Erich E. Hoover erich.e.hoover at wine-staging.com
Wed Nov 16 08:44:56 CST 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Everybody at WineConf (myself included) seemed pretty happy about the
> idea to have Wine use Windows 7 mode by default. However, it looks
> like Steam does not accept the -no-cef-sandbox parameter in Windows
> Vista and later. This means that if we switch to Windows 7, most parts
> of Steam will crash.
>
> I see a few options:
> 1. Ask the Steam developers to make -no-cef-sandbox work in all
> versions of Windows.
> 2. Tell users to switch to Windows XP mode before using Steam.
> 3. Commit some nasty hack to handle the syscall and continue normal processing.
>
> This needs further discussion.

Hi Alex,

There are more issues than just the sandbox, though the sandbox is the
most difficult to solve (IMO).  My concern is that no matter what we
get Valve to do that the Chromium sandbox is getting integrated into
more and more software, so it seems like we have to find a solution
that works for more than just Steam.

So, I have a bunch of code for getting the sandbox working in 32-bit
mode without doing anything horrible, I'm happy to share updated
versions if anyone is interested.  The problem is getting the sandbox
working in 64-bit mode, which also prevents it from working in WoW64
mode.  There would also be some difficulty getting the 32-bit version
to run on Windows 8+ due to the way that MS changed the assembly, but
if we can solve the 64-bit problem then that solves this problem as
well.  So, if anyone has a good idea for trapping SYSENTER exclusively
for ntdll then I'm all ears.

32-bit chromium service handling:
https://github.com/adobe/chromium/blob/master/sandbox/src/service_resolver_32.cc
64-bit chromium service handling:
https://github.com/adobe/chromium/blob/master/sandbox/src/service_resolver_64.cc

Best,
Erich

P.S. The email you CC'd me on is decommissioned.