Wineconf wrap up

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Nov 19 11:26:47 CST 2016

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016, Jeremy White wrote:
[...]
> p.s.  For my part, one key part is that we are going to attempt to
> make one or two of the Debian Jessie systems hosted here at
> CodeWeavers run make test to successful completion.

See this call for action to contribute:
https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2016-November/115325.html

We need help with the d2d1:d2d1, d3d10core:device, user32:winstation and
ws2_32:sock tests. And you can also help Hans, Matteo and Vincent with
the crypt32:chain, d3d8:device, d3d9:d3d9ex, d3d9:device, d3d9:visual,
kernel32:console and kernel32:process tests.

[...]
> We are going to accept the fact that we have several timing dependent
> tests; so 'success' is going to be something like the following:
>
>   make test -o make test -o make test -o make test

I think Jeremy meant something like this:

make -k test; make test || make test || make test

(with possibly more -k)

Note that WineTest.exe does not implement this logic and thus may need
some modification.

There's also a still open question: should we rerun all failing tests or
only those known to be flaky?

For developers just wishing to verify that everything still works before
submitting a patch the command above is fine. But if automated tests
rerun every failing tests until they succeeds then we are likely to end
up with a lot more unnecessarily unreliable tests in Wine.

[...]
> In a similar vein, we are going to try to establish a 'diffing' logic
> for the winetest bot.  So if there are n failures that happen
> routinely, and a new patch arrives, so long as only those same
> failures remain, the patch will be considered suitable.  The advantage
> to that approach is

Note that we already have some code to that effect in
bin/WineSendLog.pl. As far as I can tell this does not impact whether a
test is considered successful or not however.

                 There are 10 types of people in the world...