Serial port sniffing problem

Christopher Harrington ironiridis+winehq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:01:26 CST 2016

(copying list again, below edited for brevity)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:39 PM Bill Lionheart <billlionheart at gmail.com>
wrote:

> $ ls -Fl
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 bill bill 10 May 11  2014 c: -> ../drive_c/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 bill bill 12 Jan  6  2016 com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> $ id -a
> uid=1001(bill) gid=1001(bill)
> groups=1001(bill),20(dialout)

> $ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Nov 29 18:27 /dev/ttyUSB0

All of this definitely looks correct.

Here are a couple more suggestions:
1. Try creating a brand new wine prefix. Yours certainly has a beard on it
and there may be artifacts of older copies of Wine that could be impacting
your testing. Anyway, this essentially would look like moving ~/.wine to
somewhere else, installing your test application again, and re-creating
your com1 file in dosdevices/. You can always move your .wine directory
back if it has important stuff in it.
2. See if using a more current version of Wine improves anything. You say
you're on Wine 1.8; if you could be more specific (try running wine
--version) that might give someone a lightbulb.
3. Crossover from Codeweavers is appallingly affordable if you haven't
looked into that yet, and it comes with professional support.

Anyway, wine-devel is more for discussion of development of Wine itself,
not a support forum. What you're probably looking for is wine-users. I'm
not subscribed to wine-users, so I can't copy your email there, but you can
subscribe here: https://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users

Good luck.