HLSL compiler

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:02:48 CDT 2016

> On 2 September 2016 at 19:45, Matteo Bruni <matteo.mystral at gmail.com> wrote:
>> with it. Fortunately we don't need to do too much optimization since
>> there is another compiler down the line (e.g. GLSL compiler in the
>> OpenGL drivers) which should be able to cover up our shortcomings...
>>
> Hypothetical ARB_gl_spirv support in wined3d could change that somewhat though.

Yeah, I don't know. The SPIR-V compiler is still going to make some
optimizations while generating the hw-specific shaders and those might
be enough. Certainly we need to do some "optimizations" ourselves in
any case (d3d bytecode is pretty far from HLSL, especially for older
shader models - e.g. ps_2_0 doesn't have loops) but maybe we can avoid
the more complex optimizations or SSA.
It's all very hypothetical...