HLSL compiler

Fabian Maurer dark.shadow4 at web.de
Mon Sep 5 12:57:40 CDT 2016

On Friday, September 2, 2016 7:45:04 PM CEST you wrote:
> I don't see a parser rule for function calls at the moment. Looking at
> my private branch, I have an additional VAR_IDENTIFIER '('
> func_arguments ')' rule for the postfix_expr nonterminal.
>
> In general, the parser should be in pretty decent shape, if missing
> some rules. Everything else (IR transformation / optimization,
> codegen) is just not there at the moment.
>
> Somewhat related: the current IR probably isn't quite optimal. It's a
> tree IR, quite strongly inspired by the one from the current GLSL
> compiler in Mesa. At least two issues with it are that memory usage
> can get relatively high and some optimizations are difficult to do
> with it. Fortunately we don't need to do too much optimization since
> there is another compiler down the line (e.g. GLSL compiler in the
> OpenGL drivers) which should be able to cover up our shortcomings...

Thanks, I think I can work with that. Probably need to implement a few DX11
functions first if I want to test it though.

Also, I should probably write some tests. How would one go about that, just
compile a few shaders and try if we can render them? Though I feel like it
would be better to test the bytecode somehow to rule out errors in wined3d.