Alexandre Julliard : winex11: Remove support for synthesizing clipboard formats.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Sep 9 00:29:32 CDT 2016

Ken Thomases <ken at codeweavers.com> writes:

> The way I envisioned this was that synthesis would be entirely a
> query-time phenomenon, perhaps with some caching within user32.  So,
> CountClipboardFormats(), EnumClipboardFormats(),
> IsClipboardFormatAvailable(), and GetClipboardData() would call into
> the driver and get a list of the real formats.  User32 would then add
> in any missing formats that are synthesized from those real formats
> and include them in the count/enumeration/availability check.  And, of
> course, GetClipboardData() would actually synthesize the data, as
> necessary.  None of this would be "stored" on the clipboard in the
> sense of SetClipboardData().  The drivers would not be informed of the
> synthesized formats or data.

Going beyond synthesized formats, the high-level vision is that there
will be a fully functional clipboard implementation in user32, that
should pass all the tests and allow copy/paste between apps inside the
same prefix, even with no driver implementation at all.

Once this is working, I believe it will be possible to reimplement the
driver side using only the exported Win32 clipboard APIs. I admit that I
haven't finished that part yet, so there may turn out to be a need for
some private hooks, but I'm hoping we can do without.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org