Git branch naming (Re: wine-2.0.1-rc1 Available)

Jens Reyer jre.winesim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 06:37:34 CDT 2017

Hi Michael and winehq git maintainers

On 29.03.2017 23:05, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> I have pushed wine-2.0.1-rc1 (with tag) to
> https://github.com/mstefani/wine-stable
> https://static-winehq.rhcloud.com/stable/

I see you are re-using the branch name "stable", overwriting the
previous (1.8) branch. The same on winehq.org, where I see "stable" and
"oldstable".

I suggest to use versioned names, maybe "stable-2.0" instead. (Anything
with some version would be fine, as long as it doesn't conflict with tag
names.)

I see how re-using "stable" might be favorable when you are working with
the current stable release only, but as soon as you are working with
several stable releases it might get a bit confusing. E.g. in Debian we
will still be supporting 1.8 when 3.0 or 4.0 is out. Although I hope
there will be no need for changes then, it would still be nice to have a
branch available, where changes might be shared across distros even if
no further update is planned.

Greets!
jre