Linux desktop integration: Fill StartupWMClass in .desktop menu entries

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Apr 22 00:50:00 CDT 2017

On April 22, 2017 9:34:36 AM GMT+09:00, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
>So, this would be an improvement, and I see no reason it couldn't be
>done, but I just want to point out that there are a lot of other cases
>that Windows is able to handle, and Wine could theoretically handle
>after more work and cooperation, including pinning programs for which
>no shortcut exists (yet).

Oh yeah I expected that - in this area there's always One More Case, and it comes down to trying to handle more and more of them to lift up the user experience over time.

I'd really like it if we could start with this to address the common case we're seeing in user bug reports (in both Plasma and the other DEs), and beyond that we can try to form a working relationship to address additional cases later. I've worked with some wine/CodeWeavers folks on similar integration issues in the past actually, but it's been ages and I lost all track of who was involved. It would be great to take that up again.

From our POV wine is something pretty unusual that behaves in quirky ways ... but because it's doing something valid and interesting usecase-wise it's also a good thing to look at to make sure specs and code cover that usecase. Many of our users do rely on wine, especially in professional deployments.

Do you see yourself taking a stab at writing a patch for this? I could try, but I lack the sort of broader context knowledge you just demonstrated, plus I don't know the wine codebase. What I can do super easily is test and serve as a general contact point for Linux shell people :)

Cheers,
Eike