JACK driver for WINE

Jeremy Banks korethr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 14:14:00 CDT 2017

Hello all,

I am wanting to output the audio from various applications run in WINE
to the JACK server on my computer. I would prefer that WINE do this
natively instead of routing across various wrapper setups with ALSA or
PulseAudio. I have looked on the WINE wiki page for sound[1]  and see
that there was a JACK driver at one point, but it was removed when the
driver architecture was changed.

I am interested in trying to implement a driver to get WINE talking to
JACK natively. The wiki says to ask on the mailing list before starting
such a project, and so here I am. I have downloaded a local copy of the
source repo and have started browsing through its contents. Being
unfamiliar with the WINE codebase, which portions of the source should I
start studying first? I am interested in studying the drivers for ALSA,
OSS, and Pulse for comparison; do those live in a particular place in
the source tree? I'm presently looking on the Wiki for other helpful
information, but is there some particular documentation I should be
studying for this endeavor?

Regards,

Jeremy Banks

1. https://wiki.winehq.org/Sound#Backend_information