SECURITY ALERT -- Remotely exploitable wine <= 2.x bugs via unencrypted plaintext HTTP intermediation

Michael Müller michael at fds-team.de
Thu Feb 2 08:45:31 CST 2017

Hello Kristian,

it is true that the download is done via HTTP, but there is a checksum
verification using a hardcoded hash value after the download. See
http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/HEAD:/dlls/appwiz.cpl/addons.c
for more details. It could be discussed whether sha1 is still considered
secure enough, but I think there is a reason why it was chosen. Wine is
modular and can be built without a cryptographic library (gnutls /
CommonCrypto) and then lacks support for TLS and most hash functions.
SHA1 is built into Wine though. Using this method guarantees that the
download will also work in a minimal Wine built.

Regards,
Michael