Fwd: Participating in Outreachy

Fabian Maurer dark.shadow4 at web.de
Wed Feb 8 11:44:01 CST 2017

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:17:18 PM CET Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> That's an old cliche, still wrong.
Maybe, but I'm not sure about that.

> Meanwhile, women account for 23
> percent of all computer programmers and 39.5 percent of web developers,
> according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics."
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 21% out of 480 computer
programmers are female.
According to a stackoverflow survey however, 5-12% of all developers are
female: http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016
That makes the 11 percent of open source contributors that are women a fairly
good ratio.

> https://www.linux.com/blog/how-bring-more-women-free-and-open-source-softwar
> e "Currently 25 percent of all software developers are women, but only 3
> percent work in free and open source software."
Couldn't find a citation for that number, it also conflicts with your other
number, that's nearly 1/4.

Again, I'd welcome it if there were more women in IT / open source, but if you
do an outreach, why not for everyone? That would be more inclusive, and you
still could make clear that you also address women.

Regards,
Fabian Maurer