wineinstall - Add support for parallel builds using 'nproc' to detect cpu count

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Feb 24 16:29:35 CST 2017

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017, Austin English wrote:
[...]
> >> Seriously? Is that still the case / what version of Solaris was that,
> >> if you remember?
> >
> > Solaris seems to never upgrade the core utilities, so any version I'd
> > guess. But I haven't touched Solaris in a while (fortunately ;-)
>
> Francois, do you know if this still an issue?

I don't run Solaris much either. Still have my Solaris 11.11 VM though.
I ran the following script on it:

$ cat >foo <<EOF
b=`which nproc`
echo "b=[$b]"

p=$(which nproc)
echo "p=[$p]"
EOF

$ /bin/sh foo
b=[/usr/bin/nproc]
p=[/usr/bin/nproc]
$ /bin/sh --version | head -n 1
GNU bash, version 4.1.9(1)-release (i386-pc-solaris2.11)

$ /bin/ksh foo
b=[/usr/bin/nproc]
p=[/usr/bin/nproc]
$ /bin/ksh --version
  version         sh (AT&T Research) 93u 2011-02-08

So it seems to work.

That said if the rest of the code does it one way and the new way does
not bring a significant improvement I see no reason to stray from
existing practices.

     You can have my guns when you pry them from my kids cold, dead hands.