A couple unrelated issues

Rafał Mużyło galtgendo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:33:58 CST 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 08:42:12AM -0600, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 04:26:14PM +0100, Rafał Mużyło wrote:
> > 2. alsa/pulseaudio and stream recovery: as in the past, it's hard to
> > tell if it's wine or the underlaying stuff that fails; the problem I'm
> > hearing is that apps sometimes without any apparent reason (as CPU usage
> > isn't all that different than the average) go into '(snd_pcm_recover)
> > underrun occurred' mode and start playing the sounds on much higher rate
> > and then just as randomly (as it's again seemingly not related to CPU
> > usage) recover; it's the randomness that bothers me: both going into the
> > state *and* not recovering for several minutes; would it be possible, if
> > not outright fix that, then for example add a helper app, that the user
> > could manually trigger to force recovery ?
> >

> Are you using PulseAudio via winealsa with the alsa-pulse plugin? Why
> not just use the winepulse driver?

Well, because reasons...

OK, a less tongue-in-cheek answer: while I've been working under
pulseaudio for quite awhile (if you recall my older posts/bugs), I'm
still of a strong opinion, that barring very specific needs (like audio
authoring), anything that works with pure alsa, should just as well work with pulseaudio underneath,
unless there's a bug in alsa's pulseaudio plugin or pulseaudio itself - then it's that bug that needs to be adressed (well, at least in the long term).
What's more the random nature of the problem (both triggering it - sometimes things work for hours just fine - and getting cleaned up - again, sometimes it gets cleaned up fast enough it's barely noticable; coupled with the trigger *seemingly* not being tied to actual CPU usage, just happening on a whim...) irks me.