Meson buildsystem - does make it sense for Wine?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 10:36:18 CDT 2017

Am 2017-07-13 um 15:37 schrieb David Heidelberg:
> As I recently discovered Meson build system [1] (compatible with Linux,
> FreeBSD, Windows, Android etc.) which tends to be preferred replacement
> for autotools (at least recently by many projects). [2]
Wine is rarely a project that jumps onto the newest fanciest thing out
there, and in general this attitude has worked well for us :-) . The
only thing I remember that we early adopted was git (which also worked
very well for us).

> I didn't found any discussion regarding to porting Wine build system.
>
> I wounder what is your opinion, could Meson can improve wine build
> times? Also maybe simplified crossbuilds?
I guess the question is what does it gain us vs how much effort is
needed to make the transition. Is there any specific functionality we'll
gain and want? A proof of concept port could e.g. show speed gains, but
I have my doubts because running the configure script is only a minor
part of the entire build time, and I doubt that Meson will make gcc
compile faster.