UIRibbon

Fabian Maurer dark.shadow4 at web.de
Sun Jul 30 13:54:59 CDT 2017

> This sounds like a blocker to me, at this point at least. What are the
> options for applications? Can you use raw xml too (this could be useful if
> ribbon description is generated in runtime)?

AFAIK, no. The xml must be compiled by UICC.exe, and the binary embedded as
resource. You can't really generate stuff at runtime, but the application can
hide controls.

> Does it use DirectUI thing or something similarly undocumented and unstable?

Sorry, I never heard about DirectUI, so I don't know. But I doubt it since
there is no need for any dlls that look directui related.
You can make ribbons work on wine by using "propsys.dll, uiribbon.dll,
uiribbonres.dll, uxtheme.dll" from win7, and a hack for the built-in user32.

It's undocumented sure, I didn't find any information about it after hours of
googling. I don't know if I'd call it unstable though, it works well across
windows versions.

Luckily the UICC compiler works under wine (with msxml3 msxml6), so at least
compiling is easily. If you want to see an example, I can provide one.

I already began poking around in the binary format, but I'm not very
experienced with binary analysis and the ribbon information is fairly complex,
too. And reversing an unknown format is always a bunch of work, I guess.

Regards,
Fabian Maurer