Installation of up-to-date wine-staging

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Fri Jun 16 17:18:42 CDT 2017

On 16.06.2017 23:45, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> I followed the directions at
> <https://wine-staging.com/installation.html> to install wine-staging on
> my Debian Jessie platform.  However, the result is considerably out of
> date (version 2.4 rather than 2.9 (or 2.10)), and there appears to
> be no method of determining what version of wine-staging is available
> for each of the other Linux platforms mentioned on that web page such
> as Debian testing = stretch.
>
> Is this lack of an up-to-date version some idiosyncrasy for the Debian
> Jessie platform or is this a problem for all the Linux distributions
> covered in the above web page?
>
> Are there plans to start keeping wine-staging installs more up to date
> for Debian Jessie or is there some other set of directions I should be
> following to gain access to the latest version of wine-staging? It's
> been a number of years since I have built wine, and in that era I only
> bothered with the 32-bit version.  So if it turns out the answer is there are no plans to keep the various distro versions of wine-staging
> up to date so the only way to get an up-to-date version is to build a
> WoW64 version of the latest wine that has been patched with the
> wine-staging patches, it would be good to state that in the above
> page.
>
> Alan
> __________________________
> Alan W. Irwin

The repositories are up-to-date and currently contain version 2.10 for
both the Staging and Development branches. Also see the list of files
here:

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/pool/main/

If you added our repositories before March 2017, please note that the
repository URL has changed. There is no longer a separate repository
hosted at repos.wine-staging.com and we recommend all users to switch
the WineHQ repositories (which contains the same wine-staging packages).
This was also announced on the mailing list and in the news section
back then (and there is also a small remark at the top of the
installation instructions).

Otherwise, if you are already using the correct repository, I am not
sure why you would get such an old version. Did you maybe forget to run
"apt-get update", or using a wrong package name? If those hints do not
help to fix the issue, please provide the output of "apt-cache policy
winehq-staging" to track it down further.

Best regards,
Sebastian