1.8.7 maintenance release?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Fri Mar 3 03:56:09 CST 2017

On 03/02/2017 07:50 PM, Nathan Schulte wrote:
> I guess it's because wine supports multiple concurrent releases.
No we don't do that. There won't be a 1.8.8.

The main reasons why I cut a final 1.8.7 release after the 2.0 came out:

- Current supported distribution versions won't upgrade from 1.8.x to
2.0. They will (hopefully) do the switch in their next version.

- Ubuntu 16.10 LTS came out with Wine 1.6.2 even though 1.8.3 was out
already. So I wouldn't wonder if they'll use 1.8.7 in their next LTS...
I don't particularly care about Ubuntu but that's how most of our new
users make their first contact with Wine.

- It is very easy for me to do an old stable release after the new
stable was cut. With the code freeze prior to a new stable release only
small bug fixes and most importantly regression fixes go in. So there is
a high density of good commits to cherry pick for the old stable.

bye
	michael