Star Trek Online changed their routine for d3dcompiler_47.dll

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 17:52:12 CDT 2017

> On 23 March 2017 at 04:56, cyfer3 at googlemail.com <cyfer3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to report something that might have been working in wine-staging
>> 2.3 but doesn't work in wine-staging current (2.4) but that's not
>> necessarily a wine (mis)understanding as it looks, but I'd rather like to
>> point out, the workaround that has been posted here doesn't seem to work
>> anymore and with wine-devel 2.4 it is at least possible to see any
>> characters on the login screen, but it crashes right after picking any.
>>
>> This issue might be connected with Cryptic has abandoned dx9 support
>> entirely and I'm very grateful that it worked until today and hopefully will
>> work again in future.
>>
>> Thank you for your work and heart to the project! I hope you will reply to
>> this mail but it's ok if you don't.
>>
> Is there a bug report for this issue? That forum post seems to suggest
> a missing d3dcompiler dll, but it would be better to install the
> DirectX redistributable in the prefix or get the dll from a Windows
> installation than to copy and rename a different version of the dll.

d3dcompiler_46.dll and d3dcompiler_47.dll are newer than the latest
DirectX redistributable and AFAIK not available in any MS downloadable
package. As I understand it applications are supposed to bundle those
(see e.g. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee663275(v=vs.85).aspx),
at least if they plan to support "older" window versions (not sure
exactly since when those DLLs started being installed by Windows).
Of course renaming the older DLL is a pretty bad hack and you want to
get an actual d3dcompiler_47.dll from Windows or some other game as a
proper workaround.

That said, it's not clear to me that the current issue is related to
d3dcompiler at all. Could you please open a bug on bugs.winehq.org for
this issue (assuming there isn't one yet) with all the relevant
details?