ntdll: Use environment variable "WINESERVER" first on search for wineserver to start.

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Mar 27 01:25:30 CDT 2017

Am 07.03.2017 um 15:20 schrieb Sebastian Lackner:
> Was it intentional that you did not CC the wine-devel mailing list?
no, I Just replyed to all; fixed that

> On 07.03.2017 10:22, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> In the opposite having wineserver environment variable set in users
>> environment will make it sure to always starts wineserver with the
>> requested settings.
> Well, you could also change $PATH globally to let "wine" point to your
> special wrapper executable. This would not really be different from using
> a global WINESERVER variable.
Really ? Adding an additional path looks more invasive in terms of
security and maintenance as using a dedicated environment variable
affecting only one executable.

> I think there is a misunderstanding here, each wineprefix uses its own
> wineserver instance. Wineservers started for other prefixes will never
> inherit any timeout settings.
Thanks for this pointer, I wasn't aware of that.
>> [...]
>>
>> With the mentioned patch applied to a local wine build (or with a
>> renamed wineserver) the site now runs about two weeks and one noticable
>> change is that the initial
>> mentioned communication issue did not happens. This let me think that
>> there may be a long time running issue with wineserver, which affects
>> the dde interface.
> It is nice that you have found a workaround, however we would also like
> to fix such issues of course. If you find any way to trigger this issue,
> please file a bug report.
I will do but unfortunally I'm not at this point yet. Observations from
the last weeks shows that the error happened two times:

1. wineserver is running 12 days and not restarted because one
application showed a message box, therefore did not quit and blocked
wineserver restart, which let other wine applications dde communication fail
20170309-061102.523831920: starting
'/srv/www/gauszweb-prod/tools/usr/bin/wineserver --foreground
--persistent=3600 ' ->  last wineserver restart
20170321-150057.967117185: starting
'/srv/www/gauszweb-prod/tools/usr/bin/wineserver --foreground
--persistent=3600 ' -> manual restarted because of application freeze

2. wineserver is running 3 days and applications dde communications
fails because wineserver has been restarted immediatly
20170322-061003.064358739: starting
'/srv/www/gauszweb-prod/tools/usr/bin/wineserver --foreground
--persistent=3600 ' -> last restart
20170325-220751 -> print job starts
20170325-220753.202518273: starting
'/srv/www/gauszweb-prod/tools/usr/bin/wineserver --foreground
--persistent=3600 ' -> wineserver has been restarted by timeout
20170325-220805  applications dde communication fails and wine reports
wine: chdir to /tmp/.wine-37002/server-fd0a-9602cwine:  : No such file
or directory
chdir to /tmp/.wine-37002/server-fd0a-9602c : No such file or
directoryThis is expected and not a bug. It can happen when multiple wine
> instances try to start up wineserver at the same time. Only the first
> wineserver instance will be able to acquire the lock, all others will
> exit and then connect to the existing wineserver.
Sound reasonable

Best regards
 Ralf