Darren Stevens II -- Outreachy Internship

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 19:32:37 CDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Darren M. Stevens II <darren8 at umbc.edu> wrote:
> Hello, my name is Darren and I'm a computer science major at the University
> of Maryland Baltimore County. I've never worked in open source software
> before, but the idea of letting windows apps run for linux sounds appealing,
> especially for games.
>
> Though it's my first time in open source, I have some experience in C.
> Looking at the project list, the graphical user interface  seems to be the
> most interesting, but I'm also interested in the resource and dialog editor
> since I'd like to get some UI experience. I've also worked in html, php, and
> mysql before, so improving the AppDB website also interests me. If pressed,
> I'd prefer to work with the gui and learn about what goes into making one.
>
> I look forward to potentially working with you all more during the summer.

Hi Darren,

For a start, you'll want to make sure you can download and build wine
from source. Once you can do that, please send a small (but useful!)
patch to Wine. Ideally it would be one related to the area of code
you'd want to work in, to show us you can work with the code. I.e., if
you wanted to work on a Winetest GUI, fixing a smaller problem in
winetest would be a good idea.

For the AppDB, what ideas do you have for it?

--
-Austin
GPG: 14FB D7EA A041 937B