Re: [RFC] README: Update Linux version requirement to 2.3.31.

wylda at volny.cz wylda at volny.cz
Wed May 3 14:25:16 CDT 2017

>> I've not tested the version, but recent commit 45a632ee81c9c5c58309426de5aadbd8dbbba0f5
>> introduces SYS_mmap2 system call which doesn't exist before 2.3.31.
>> So, should we update the requirement? Is 2.3.31 valid enough?
>
>I'm not sure that we know what the minimum version is these days. If
>mmap2 is really the only new dependency, adding a workaround is easy
>enough. Is anybody able to test this?
>
>--
>Alexandre Julliard
>julliard at winehq.org

Hmmm, no answers... It seems to me like crazy project, which nobody on Earth
would ever undergo. To promote it from crazy to totally insane I could give a drive
to one of my oldies. Like
 - 486DX
 - 386DX + 387 / 32MB RAM
 - 386DX / 4MB RAM with ISA Trident 512KB

(no 386SX / 486SX;) just to see, how deep we can sink with those old ships :-))
I would let Pentium and Pentium MMX docked for being too modern.

So when testing old kernels (Debian distributions) – If that ever compile what
else could be interesting? GCC version? Libc version? X version?

How to interpret successful test
 - compilation? (pre-compiled in VM)
 - Running winecfg??
 - Running MS Paint???