Learning C and Wine

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 05:32:24 CDT 2017

Hi,

I don't have a good C guide at hand, it's been a long time since I made
my way into this language.

Wine is certainly a quite complicated project to make your way into,
especially if you don't know C yet. It is also quite huge, and even
though I have been a contributor for 10+ years there are areas I have no
clue about. So I'd say pick an area of interest to start from.

That said, if you want to learn C with the goal of working on Wine, C
guides that focus on Windows and the Win32 API are a good start. Writing
simple GUI programs will give you an idea of the concepts of Windows.
Stay clear of MFC (which is C++ and hides some things from you). You can
additionally look up comparable Linux guides to see how the same
concepts are implemented elsewhere.

You can also use your python knowledge to bridge the gap. If for example
you're interested in games and 3D programming you could start with a
python opengl guide using e.g. PyOpenGL. That way you can learn about 3D
graphics without at the same time having to handle a new language. The
same is probably true in many other areas.

Stefan