Strange behaviour of CreateProcess with Linux binary.

John Found johnfound at asm32.info
Fri Sep 8 12:47:43 CDT 2017

I have a program running under WINE that need to start some external programs using CreateProcess API function.
Some of these programs are Linux ELF executables, some are Windows PE.

But recently, after some updates of my Linux distribution (Manjaro 64bit) some of the
Linux executables stopped to start this way.

CreateProcess returns 0, GetLastError returns 0C1h (193) == ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT

The same executable runs fine when started from the Linux path. One example file that
behaves such way is xfce4-terminal (but the problem is not limited to only this file).

For now I am wrapping such executables in short bash script in order to workaround:

#!/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal "$@"

Any ideas about what is the problem and how can be fixed?

--
http://fresh.flatassembler.net
http://asm32.info