Oracle v. Google

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 17:31:17 CDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 6:14 AM, Aaryaman Vasishta
<jem456.vasishta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As you have probably already heard, last week a US court made the crazy
>> decision that the name and arguments of a function are both copyrightable
>> and not protected by fair use, even if duplicating them is necessary for
>> basic software compatibility:
>> https://cdn.patentlyo.com/media/2018/03/17-1118.Opinion.3-26-2018.1.pdf
>>
>> Does anyone know exactly how much this ruling affects Wine? Can we ask the
>> SFC for a legal opinion?
>>
>> -Alex
>>

> This worries me as well. Does this also affect black-box reverse engineered
> API's which Wine consists of?
>
> Jam

The committee has been in contact with Conservancy about this. As of
now, what we've learned is that it's too early to know the effect the
decision will have. It's important to note that the decision isn't
binding on any other courts in the country, and it could be years for
the appeals process to complete.

--
-Austin
GPG: 267B CC1F 053F 0749 (expires 2021/02/18)