Pointers to develop direct hardware access

Zebediah Figura z.figura12 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:38:29 CST 2018

On 12/06/2018 08:31 AM, Peter Cost wrote:
> I'm new to wine and tried to get the Sonic core Scope software to work
> under wine. The problem I ran into is that there is no support for the
> used PCI hardware. (Sonic core/Creamware Scope PCI card) I researched
> the net and found that wine does not support hardware that does not have
> a proper Linux driver. Found a reference to ReactOS but a test with that
> ended in the well known blue screen.
>
> So I'm looking into making this possible myself but need some pointers
> on where to start.
>
> My thought on this is to create some layer between the actual hardware
> and wine running the Scope driver.
>
> Tried to fool the system by adding the PCI enumerations for this card to
> the wine registry, but the driver installer still says no hardware found.
>
> I have the Scope hardware and the windows software. (Currently using
> windows xp 32bit)
>
> I'm a reasonable skilled programmer with many years of experience in
> both the hardware and the software world.
>
> Thanks for any pointers

Hello Peter,

If you're looking to run a Windows kernel driver under Wine, you're
going to run into difficulty regardless. Wine kernel drivers execute
entirely in userspace, which is a problem inasmuch as the driver will
need to do things like handling interrupts.

If you'd like to pursue this, I would recommend writing a Linux kernel
driver that passes through the necessary pieces (probably leveraging the
UIO framework) to Wine's ntoskrnl.

Looking at solving the problem sequentially, as you seem to be doing: if
the installer itself refuses to install the necessary drivers since it
thinks that the device isn't present, then how to solve this depends
largely on what exactly the installer is looking for. I'd guess it's
using setupapi to find unclaimed PCI devices, though I'd check a
+setupapi log to see what specifically it's trying to find.