[wine-devel] The future of Wine-staging

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Feb 17 14:21:18 CST 2018

On 2018-02-17 15:50+0100 Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> If you haven't seen the sad news yet:
>
> https://wine-staging.com/news/2018-02-17-future-wine-staging.html
>
> We'll need to discuss how to move forward, but first I want to take the
> opportunity to thank Sebastian and Michael for their amazing work and
> dedication over the years. It was indeed a major effort, and they've
> done an incredible job of it.
>
> Wine-staging has done a lot to move Wine forward and make things
> exciting again, and I hope we can keep that momentum going (we may have
> to cut down on the number of patches though, so that the workload
> remains manageable for mere mortals...)
>
> Thank you guys!

My thanks as a Wine user to Sebastian and Michael as well.

@Alexandre:

One of the extraordinarily useful services they provided was a Debian
repository containing the latest (updated each two weeks) wine
development and wine-staging releases for a variety of different
Debian versions (Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Buster, and Sid).
I haven't looked at their equivalent  Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint,
and macOS repositories (see
<https://wine-staging.com/installation.html>) but I assume they
have similar large scope.

If Wine does not already provide distribution repository services of
such large scope for wine development releases now, could you do so?
It just makes keeping up with the Wine cutting edge so much easier
for Linux and Mac OS X users.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin