GSoC idea: Drop test workarounds

Nikolay Sivov bunglehead at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 02:32:50 CST 2018

On 2/23/2018 9:20 AM, Zebediah Figura wrote:
> On 23/02/18 00:07, Alex Henrie wrote:
>> Could we have a student systematically remove test workarounds for
>> Windows <= 2000? I've recently taken care of several of them, but
>> there are many more that only serve to confuse people and increase
>> compilation time.
>>
>> -Alex
>>

> Is this really appropriate for a GSoC project? This seems more like
> busywork than anything.
>
> At any rate I'd be surprised if anyone takes it up.

Yes, I don't think it's suitable. I think consensus some years ago was
that general tasks like "make the project better", by fixing random
bugs, or otherwise, are not appropriate for GSoC. Instead it should be
something specific enough, ideally that has a potential to be flexible.

I'm not sure, but it's possible Google has some restrictions on what
should be a valid project too.