d3d8:device test timeout

Alex Henrie alexhenrie24 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 22:30:41 CST 2018

Hi all,

I spent some time today trying to figure out why the d3d8:device tests
are timing out (it's the #1 bug on Jeremy's list [1]). The timeout
occurs within test_lost_device, which changes the foreground window to
the desktop, then changes it back to the controlling window of the D3D
device. Usually that's not a problem, but this particular machine is
so traumatized by the experience that it locks up when you try to
reset or release the device afterwards.

The exact hangup occurs in d3d8/tests/device.c:7721.[2] By the way,
despite the comments in this function, the test machine does return
D3DERR_DEVICELOST. Also, the Windows 8 d3d8:device failures are a
completely unrelated crash that happens intermittently on Windows 10
as well.

I regret that I was only able to narrow down the problem and could not
come up with a good solution. Hopefully another one of you will know
how to fix this.

-Alex

[1] https://www.winehq.org/~jwhite/320152b06de1.html
[2] https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/320152b06de1d08f6f13b9edeca467f66a8b6281:/dlls/d3d8/tests/device.c#l7721