Google Summer of Code 2018

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 15:57:52 CST 2018

> Hi,
>>  - Go through https://wiki.winehq.org/Summer_Of_Code and add/cleanup/remove ideas
> Józef has kindly provided some more d3d-related ideas :-) .
>
> I am considering removing the d3dx9 idea, my gut feeling is that
> whatever is left in d3dx9 is too hard for gsoc (e.g. the HLSL compiler)
> or too boring or too much of a corner case.

Maybe it's too boring (hard for me to evaluate that), you can also say
it's too scattered around. I wouldn't say it's too hard, the list on
the wiki page doesn't contain the HLSL compiler for a reason :)
Too much of a corner case? Maybe some functions are, but e.g.
D3DXOptimizeVertices() is used by a number of games.

All in all, to me the d3dx9 idea is awkward mostly because of the
"selecting a subset of the missing features" part. I don't know, I
won't oppose if you feel like we should get rid of it. Or if anyone
has ideas on how to improve it, even better.

BTW, not sure about adding a d3dx10 / 11 idea. I'll think about it.

> I'd also propose a reorder and have more "exiting" ideas on top. I'd say
> something game related would be a better first idea to suggest than
> working on the cmd.exe parser.

I do agree with that. Also we probably want to have some further
cleanup of the ideas list, as André mentioned. New ideas are
especially welcome too ;)