This year's changes to the "Submitting Patches" page

Alex Henrie alexhenrie24 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:28:22 CDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 July 2018 at 17:08, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 05:01:13PM +0200, Alex Henrie wrote:
> > The only part I dislike is this:
> >
> >> You can also use git config format.signOff true to enable this setting by default on every new commit.
> >
> > Since we are allowed to send sign-offs on others' behalf (a practice I
> > dislike, but it is what it is), I don't think we should make it easy
>
> That doesn't sound right. The way I understand things, we obviously
> preserve existing sign-offs on a patch unless we make substantial
> changes to it, but we shouldn't be adding sign-offs that weren't
> already there.
>
> That's not to say I disagree with your point though; I'd prefer
> signing off on a patch to be an explicit action as well.

In addition to the other changes, I changed the page to say not to add
Signed-off-by for anyone but yourself, because it didn't make sense to
me to say on someone else's behalf that a patch is good enough for
Wine. I do agree that we can preserve the Signed-off-by lines of
patches in Staging if no substantial changes are made to the patch
when it is sent upstream.

I think the general consensus among Wine developers is that using `git
config format.signOff true` is not recommended. Feel free to delete
that sentence from the wiki. If anyone really wants to use the option,
they can find it in Git's documentation.

-Alex