Wine staging 3.13 release

Kai Krakow kai at kaishome.de
Mon Jul 23 07:26:46 CDT 2018

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 04:19:07PM +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:
>> This new winepulse patchset seems to introduce very bad audio
>> distortion for me. Sound is played at around half of its original
>> speed with what sounds like empty buffers alternating with filled
>> buffers. I'm currently cross-checking by reverting to the old
>> patchset.
>>
>> Changing PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC only introduces visible audio lag but
>> doesn't fix the distortion. This was different with older releases
>> (before native pulseaudio support).
>>
>> Running pulseaudio 11.1 here usually without setting
>> PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC. My setup worked with both USB audio and builtin
>> audio just fine until now, switching audio sinks and sources also
>> worked.
>>
>> If there's anything I can help with diagnosing this, let me know.
>>

> Thanks Kai, this is great feedback. Is every application affected, or
> only some applications?

As far as I can tell, all apps are affected. Before I used this
patchset, only some apps were affected. With the old patchset,
everything is perfectly smooth except when the system is under heavy
load, I can here some faint cracking in the sound which was mostly
fixed by raising priorities and switching to a CK kernel, I believe.
But I'm not sure.

> The patch is intended to improve audio with
> USB hardware and remove the need for hacks like the PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC
> override, using winealsa on PA systems, or disabling PA altogether.

I'm not using winealsa or other hacks, I always think it should work
without hacks. I'm not using PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC because it seems to
freeze some games during sound init. And it was also only a remnant of
the old workaround I had to use before. So it's removed for quite a
while now.

> Could you send me a short log with the channels from
> https://wiki.winehq.org/Sound along with a description of your audio
> hardware? Either private email or on bug 28282 is great.

I guess that some more configuration option might have an impact.
First, there's a recommendation to increase kernel sound buffers to
2048 (instead of default 64) when using pulseaudio, so I did this. I'm
also using not quite default pulseaudio configuration.

So, I'll bundle up a package of these including the logs. It may take
me a few days, tho.

Thanks,
Kai