Wine staging 3.13 release

Kai Krakow kai at kaishome.de
Mon Jul 23 07:47:17 CDT 2018

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 02:26:46PM +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:
>> > Could you send me a short log with the channels from
>> > https://wiki.winehq.org/Sound along with a description of your audio
>> > hardware? Either private email or on bug 28282 is great.
>>
>> I guess that some more configuration option might have an impact.
>> First, there's a recommendation to increase kernel sound buffers to
>> 2048 (instead of default 64) when using pulseaudio, so I did this. I'm
>> also using not quite default pulseaudio configuration.
>>

> If you made those changes just for Wine, then I'd suggest reverting
> them and trying with a stock setup. If you have those changes for
> other reasons, then we can try to get them to work with Wine. A
> specific description of the changes would be helpful, so I can try to
> reproduce on my end.

I did this long before using Wine, tho it looks like I increased it
from recommended 2048 to 4096 out of desperation:

>From "make menuconfig":
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE:
>
> Specifies the default pre-allocated buffer-size in kB for the
> HD-audio driver.  A larger buffer (e.g. 2048) is preferred
> for systems using PulseAudio.  The default 64 is chosen just
> for compatibility reasons.
>
> Note that the pre-allocation size can be changed dynamically
> via a proc file (/proc/asound/card*/pcm*/sub*/prealloc), too.
>
> Symbol: SND_HDA_PREALLOC_SIZE [=4096]
> Type  : integer
> Range : [0 32768]
> Prompt: Pre-allocated buffer size for HD-audio driver
> Location:
>   -> Device Drivers
>     -> Sound card support (SOUND [=m])
>       -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=m])
>  Defined at sound/hda/Kconfig:18
>  Depends on: SOUND [=m] && !UML && SND [=m]

I think this recommendation could be default in many distributions.
I'm using Gentoo here, so I don't know what setting conventional
distributions are using.

I could revert the pulseaudio changes, tho. But I think all are pretty
harmless except maybe sampling rates:

$ egrep -v "^(;|$|#)" /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 80
enable-lfe-remixing = yes
rlimit-rtprio = 90
default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 96000
alternate-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 6
default-channel-map =
front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe

>> So, I'll bundle up a package of these including the logs. It may take
>> me a few days, tho.
>>

> Cool, thanks. I'm happy to help get this working again. Going through
> staging will help work out the kinks :)

Regards,
Kai