Student preparing for GSoC

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:06:47 CDT 2018

On 27 March 2018 at 06:44, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While I was looking for inspiration I came across this project[1] and
>> thought that it could be a good focus for a GSoC project.
>> That is, specifically writing micro benchmarks to measure the improvements
>> of components effected by changes in wine-pba. I'm very uncertain about this
>> however because it isn't
>> officially in the master branch or even submitted at all. As far as I can
>> tell the developer isn't directly associated with Wine.
>> On the other hand having conformance tests and benchmarks made would save
>> the developer time and allow his patch
>> to be moved through quicker. But really it just looks interesting so I
>> thought I would bring it up.
>>
>> [1] https://comminos.com/posts/2018-02-21-wined3d-profiling.html
>>

> I don't think making a project about a wine fork (that's not
> upstreaming it) is a useful use of GSOC resources.

I'm not a GSoC mentor, so my opinion here is of limited value, but I
did occasionally touch some Wine Direct3D code over the years. As a
general principle, I think there's value in understanding performance
differences between Wine-proper and its various forks and/or
competitors. Since Stefan would be the likely mentor for such a
project, ultimately that's up to him, of course.