New bandwidth for winehq.org

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 28 10:11:43 CDT 2018

Folks,

We've now upgraded WineHQ from a 20Mbps line to a 100Mbps line
(burstable to 1G).  This also moves us to Level3 (which is Century Link
now :-(  ).

Note that most users should not see a difference; the bulk of real
traffic should be going through Fastly (who is *awesome*).  The main
thing that this should avoid is that when we do a release, we
effectively get ddos'd by Fastly.  I never did figure that out, so I've
chosen to throw money at the problem.

In theory, now when we do a release, our pipe is big enough to satisfy
Fastly, and the web site should not get ddos'd.

It doesn't change fundamentals; latency should be similar (we see a big
improvement, Alexandre sees a slight degradation).

The box is also chugging hard; it may be time to shift the SQL database
to a different system to reduce the strain.  Perhaps that is a
conversation for Wineconf.

Cheers,

Jeremy