DXTn/S3TC in d3dx9

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:23:15 CDT 2018

> On 30 March 2018 at 04:34, Alistair Leslie-Hughes
> <leslie_alistair at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to hear about support for DTXn. (as long as someone
>> records it for me). Since the patent on this format has expired.
>> It's now officially part of mesa(17?), and since a large number of bugs
>> depend on this missing feature. How could we get implement
>> it quickly?
>>
> I don't know about a large number of bugs depending on d3dx9 DXTn
> support, but it would probably be good to resolve the issue
> regardless. You'll probably want to look into libsquish [1], either
> making sure the upstream API is suitable for usage in d3dx9, or
> perhaps just importing it into the Wine tree.
>
> [1] http://sjbrown.co.uk/2006/01/19/dxt-compression-techniques/

I have some patches for that. In the current version libtxc_dxtn is
put under libs/, so that it's also usable from wined3d. I also have
(previous) versions of the patch just storing the code under
dlls/d3dx9_36/ or loading it as a .so but, having seen all of them, I
think I prefer the libs/ solution.
That said, I'm totally open to discussion about which library to use,
how to integrate it and which patches to pick. I haven't looked into
libsquish a lot but I thought it was C++?