DXTn/S3TC in d3dx9

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 19:04:46 CDT 2018

On 31 March 2018 at 04:20, Alistair Leslie-Hughes
<leslie_alistair at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/03/18 04:23, Matteo Bruni wrote:
>> I have some patches for that. In the current version libtxc_dxtn is
>> put under libs/, so that it's also usable from wined3d. I also have
>> (previous) versions of the patch just storing the code under
>> dlls/d3dx9_36/ or loading it as a .so but, having seen all of them, I
>> think I prefer the libs/ solution.
>> That said, I'm totally open to discussion about which library to use,
>> how to integrate it and which patches to pick. I haven't looked into
>> libsquish a lot but I thought it was C++?
> libsquish is C++, so it's not going to be of much use.  I like the
> idea of having it in lib, it will solve the issue of distro's not having
> that package available any more. (Debian, Arch).

While we may question the choice of language, for an external library
that shouldn't be an issue, as long as we can get the upstream project
to provide a C API. It would be a minor inconvenience when importing
the source into the Wine tree, but libsquish is not a large library. A
motivated developer could probably get rid of the C++ bits over a
weekend.