[RFC] Using strmbase in tests

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Tue May 8 11:01:00 CDT 2018

On 5/8/18 10:51 AM, Zebediah Figura wrote:
> On 08/05/18 09:57, Aric Stewart wrote:
>> Just remember that strmbase is actually based off a REAL development library in the Microsoft SDK. It is not identical and the only reason we would care is if we continue to support source ports via Wine. If we want to support that then we need to try to get strmbase to be as identical to that one as possible.
>>
>> If we have abandoned source ports all together then it matters little.
>>
>> -aric
>>

> Sure, that's definitely another thing to consider. The last few changes
> to strmbase that I submitted were in the interest of allowing this patch
> to work, but they were also based on the MSDN documentation for CBasePin.
>
> Obviously Wine's strmbase can't be really compatible with Windows',
> since the latter is exclusively C++. But I have no idea whether
> following the documentation is something we should try to do, or whether
> we should just abandon it and try to write code that works best for
> Wine. Nor do I know that there would be any major differences in these.
> So if anyone has input on this question as well, please don't hesitate
> to speak.

I use to be passionate about it back when I original wrote the code. But time and distance has mellowed my view on this.

I feel like it would be advantageous for us to mirror the Windows version as much as possible if for no other reason than to try to avoid confusion.

However that said. I no long see any reason for us to strive to be fully compatible and add wine specific things there that help all our filters across our source is a good thing.

-aric