Wine staging patches submission

Alistair Leslie-Hughes leslie_alistair at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 01:37:44 CDT 2018

On 26/05/18 15:39, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Alistair Leslie-Hughes <leslie_alistair at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since any patches submitted for being included in wine-staging will be
>> fixing a bug in wine. It has been decided that we'll use bugzilla for
>> submission.  This way anyone can follow the follow the status of patch,
>> discussion of what/why things changed and when it's finally upstream.
>>
>> We are trying to avoid the situation of "What was that patch trying to
>> fix", or
>> "I see what it's doing but what application can I use to verify".
>>
>> Once the bug it created and the patch(s) attached,  email myself or
>> Zebediah
>> asking for staging consideration.   Please don't just CC me on a bug and
>> assume
>> we know what you want.
> Do you realize that you've essentially killed the project?

No,  we haven't killed the project.  Just because you haven't different
views on how wine-staging should be controlled and run,  Doesn't mean we
have killed the project.

Bugzilla already has a large number of patches that people have
submitted for
applications, so for most people the workflow won't change.

I have strong beliefs that wine-staging is for testing patches and then
moving
them on, once they are ready.  Since taking on wine-staging we have reduced
the number of patches by 200+, and out of that about ~75% have been accepted
upstream.  And in doing this, both project have prospered.

Coming from a developer, who has ~20 patches per release cycle, it
strange that
you have the opinion that *only you* can move *your patches* out of staging.
Does that mean you have stopped the project moving forward?
No, because whether you like it not, people are going to do it!

Alistair.