Wine staging patches submission

Alistair Leslie-Hughes leslie_alistair at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 19:23:40 CDT 2018

On 27/05/18 03:31, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>   - If patches should flow upstream, what process would you propose to
>> ensure that happens?
> Speaking of the process I think that it would be fair to ask that
> the patches get reviewed *before* one (me if we're talking about my
> work) will send them to wine-devel for inclusion. That would certainly
> save quite a bit of time/effort/motivation on both sides. Personally
> I'd like to see the list of most wanted patches, it's unreasonable to
> expect a pile of them to go at once.

Cool,  Here is small list of patches of your that I would like to see
upstreamed.  I don't claim that they are popular or will be used
widely but they are simple. At no point would I expect anyone to submit
a pile.

- advapi32-WinBuiltinAnyPackageSid/*
Since this was to correct an installer issue we can assume that others
will also be affected.  The change in the a test make it easier to
extend them in the future.

- windowscodecs-GIF_Encoder/000[124] - These are the GetEncoder support
for the various formats.
These 3 patches by themselves wont correct any bug but shouldn't cause a
regression either.
I have a test patch in the works for the Encoder patches, which I'll
commit to staging once it passes on
the test bot.  Feel free to submitted it as well if/when you send the
other patches.
I'm happy to write some test cases, if that means you will upstream more
of you patches over time.

The most popular patch is ntdll-LdrRegisterDllNotification, as
Battle.Net user cannot run games without it.
The implementation is correct and easily verified by a simple custom
test.  However,
the tests included failed on everything but Windows XP.  We are still
working though adjusting the tests
so that every time MS changes a dll dependency, the tests don't start
failing again.

The next one would be d3d11-Deferred_Context. (Hint hint) ;)

Alistair.