Advice regarding problem with SetFileInformationByHandle

Greg codedonewell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 02:18:20 CST 2018

Hello,

Myself and others have been trying to get Star Citizen to install in
with wine. The first problem that we encountered is that when
SetFileInformationByHandle is called with a class of
FileIoPriorityHintInfo, it is hard coded to return
ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED.
This seems reasonable, however when the star citizen installer
encounters that it exits - I'm guessing that it does not check GetLastError.
I have a patch developed by one of my in game org mates, that makes it
return TRUE for this case without actually doing anything other than
report a fixme.
The advice I am seeking is: Should I work up a test to go with it and
submit this patch? I hesitate to do it because the current behavior
seems accurate, and I would be asking far a special case just  for a
game I want to play.  On the other hand, I don't think that there will
ever be a unix equivalent, and that the OS has done as much as it can,
so maybe it is not a "sin" after all?

I would be thankful for any guidance that can be provided.

Regards,

Greg.