TestBot news

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Wed Apr 10 05:48:55 CDT 2019

tl;dr : So another issue is that WineTest did not work anymore in Linux
        on the cw2-gtx560 machine. This was caused by a multithread bug
        in the nouveau drivers and report spamming.
        The good news is that this now seems to be mostly fixed.

What happened is that a number of OpenGL-using tests like d2d1, d3d*
started using multithreaded-GL. Unfortunately that triggered bugs in
Debian stable's nouveau mesa packages (13.0.6-1+b2), which caused the
test to deadlock until the WineTest timeout. But worse than that it
borked the system so that every other OpenGL-using test then deadlocked
too, resulting in many many timed out and thus failed tests. That pushed
the results way above the 70 failed tests limit, causing the report to
be rejected.

The tests do have a --single option but there's no way for the TestBot /
WineTest to pass this option without also disabling multithreaded tests
on every other Linux platform (and non-Linux really) which would be a
shame.

I tried switching to the nvidia drivers and while this solved the
threading issues it resulted in tons of failures in d3d10core:d3d10core.
That pushed the report size to 8 MB, way above the 1.5 MB limit, causing
it to, again, be rejected.

So I switched back to nouveau and upgraded all the mesa packages to the
Debian Backports version (18.2.8-2~bpo9+1) but this did really not help
either :-(

So how did this get fixed?

* I sent a patch to disable multi-threading in the Direct3D-related
  tests if WINETEST_NO_MT_D3D is set and I am now setting it before
  invoking WineTest on cw2.

  So if you're getting "nouveau 0000:01:00.0: timeout" messages in
  syslog associated with backtraces implicating the nouveau code, try
  setting WINETEST_NO_MT_D3D.

* Then Henri Verbeet and Józef Kucia sent patches to limit the flood of
  failures from the tests.

So now things are better. We are still right below the report size limit
and the Direct3D tests still crash nouveau sometimes but we've been
getting test results for the past two days. Yay!

Here are the top five report spammers on cw1 and cw2:

Test               Average size
kernel32:virtual   88 KB
d3d11:d3d11        74 KB  (low on HD6800, high on GTX560)
user32:msg         36 KB
ieframe:webbrowser 28 KB
gdi32:font         27 KB

The top 20 tests (3%) make up 30% of the log size (>450 KB).
The reports are between 50 and 200 KB below the 1.5 MB limit.

The next step will be figuring out what's wrong on the TestBot debian9
VM since the d3d10core:d3d10core and d3d11:d3d11 64 bit tests fail with
a bunch of "Failed to create device" errors (plus 700 KB worth of other
errors) and yet the 32 bit tests are ok.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>