network support on 4.0 from EPEL

Luke Short ekultails at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 12:41:18 CDT 2019

Hey Jerry,

On RHEL/CentOS, there are SELinux rules to prevent non-root users from
using ping correctly. Try temporarily turning off SELiinux with `sudo
setenforce 0`. Alternatively, you may be missing additional dependencies. I
have an Ansible role I have created for installing Wine and the
suggested/recommended dependencies. You can find the full list of
dependencies that are recommended to install in the "wine_dependencies"
YAML dictionary here
<https://github.com/ekultails/ansible_role_wine/blob/extra_dependencies/vars/RedHat.yml>.
If you are familiar with Ansible automation and git, you can use the role
from that "extra_dependencies" branch to install Wine. Although unlikely,
it could be a packaging issue. The EPEL package was set to use Wine 1.8
(from 2016!) for the longest time and only recently got updated to 4.0. It
does not exactly align with the newer/upstream Fedora packages (which is
unlike most EPEL packages) that are tested since that distribution uses
wine-staging instead of wine-stable. Let us know if you find a solution
that works. Good luck!

Sincerely,
    Luke Short