Wine Mono packaging updates

Olivier F. R. Dierick o.dierick at piezo-forte.be
Fri Apr 12 21:07:41 CDT 2019

Le vendredi 05 avril 2019 à 10:28 -0500, Vincent Povirk a écrit :
> With yesterday's Git update, Wine now has the ability to use a shared
> install of Wine Mono. This greatly reduces the disk space needed by
> each prefix, and it probably speeds up prefix creation as well. Those
> changes will be in Wine 4.6.
>
> The .msi package will continue to work as before. We recently added
> /opt/wine/mono and /opt/wine/gecko to the search paths for the Mono
> and Gecko msi's, mainly so that third-party distro packages (such as
> winehq's) can install them without interfering with future official
> distribution packages that may be named differently. I think the
> commit adding this, 2f6896b14d2b1905a25b1ef55bcdc792f9fa02ac, is safe
> to apply to older versions.
>
> The "shared" version of Wine Mono can be found at
> https://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.8.1/wine-mono-bin-4.8.1.tar.gz.
> It should be extracted to /usr/share/wine/mono or /opt/wine/mono. This
> will create a directory that includes the version number, so multiple
> versions can be installed independently. This file can also be built
> using the source tarball, of course.
>
> For more details, see the release notes I put on Github:
> https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono/releases/tag/wine-mono-4.8.1

Hello,

I have an issue when updating an existing prefix where wine-mono is
already installed (from a MSI file).

I have compiled and installed wine 4.6 the way I'm used to.
I've downloaded wine-mono-bin.4.8.1.tar.gz and extracted it
to /usr/share/wine/mono so there are 'bin', 'etc', 'lib' and 'support'
under '/usr/share/wine/mono/wine-mono-4.8.1'.
I also still have the old wine-mono-4.8.0.msi file for wine 4.5
in /usr/share/wine/mono.

Creating a new prefix with wine 4.6 works and installs the shared
wine-mono package (4.8.1 is visible in wine control).
Updating a prefix where wine-mono is not installed works fine.
However, updating a prefix where old wine-mono is still installed
triggers the 'cannot find wine-mono package' download dialog.

>From there it is difficult to recover (for normal users):
Wine remembers when the dialog was canceled and doesn't try to install
wine-mono again.

Since there are no instructions for installing the shared wine-mono into
an existing prefix manually, one has to downgrade to wine 4.5, which
reinstall wine-mono-4.8.0.msi, uninstall wine-mono 4.8.0, and update
again.

The instructions don't say that the previous MSI-installed wine-mono
must be removed to upgrade an existing prefix with shared wine-mono, so
I expect that most users wishing to use the shared wine-mono will simply
extract the shared package and then use the new wine version on their
existing prefixes to upgrade and hit this issue.

If possible, Wine should upgrade the prefix gracefully by removing ANY
kind of wine-mono package before installing the new package (whether it
be a MSI or shared one).

Regards

--
        Olivier F. R. Dierick