Wine Gecko status

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Fri Aug 9 13:59:27 CDT 2019

Hi Michael,

On 8/9/19 8:02 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of development regarding Wine Gecko? The last
> general release was June 2016. As the maintainer in Fedora I have a
> few concerns that I would like to address.
>
> 1. The build scripts require Python 2. Fedora is dropping Python 2 in
> Fedora 31/32. 31 is only a few months away from GA.
> 2. I have been unable to build from source with the latest MinGW
> toolset since November 2016. I've last reported this directly to Jacek
> in 2018, but I have never heard from him.
> 3. If no support arrives, I don't have the time to patch wine-gecko.
> It will be dropped from Fedora and users will be downloading the
> binaries from winehq.org. This provides a reduced user experience and
> I would like to prevent it.

I do plan to do a new release as soon as I will be able to work on it
and it's high on my TODO list. Earlier this year I was waiting for new
Wine Mono out-of-prefix installation to settle so I can do the same for
Gecko. I believe that it's proven right already, so it's just ETA is
limited only by my time at this point.

Historically, I was doing regular releases every few Firefox releases.
Sadly, at some point, it became impossible for us to use newer Gecko.
That's why releases are no longer as regular as they were in the past.
The next release will be still based on Gecko 47. And I agree it's been
way too long, I'm definitely not happy about that. I have quite a few
changes I'd like to do for the release and that includes fixing building
with newer mingw-w64. I can't promise Python 3 support through. Gecko
build scripts are very complex and I'm not a Python expert. I will look
at it, but if it happens to require too much effort, I may decide to
postpone that for future releases.

BTW, I just checked that I replied to your private email in May last
year. I didn't have anything concrete to say, but you should have heard
from me ;)

Thanks,

Jacek