[wine-devel] Wine staging 4.21 release

Alan W. Irwin Alan.W.Irwin1234 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 02:48:03 CST 2019

On 2019-12-05 14:03+0100 Olivier F. R. Dierick wrote:

> Le mercredi 04 décembre 2019 à 14:56 -0800, Alan W. Irwin a écrit :
>> On 2019-11-30 04:56-0000 Alistair Leslie-Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> Added:
>>> * [47668] kernelbase: Improve stub for ReOpenFile and add small
>> [...]
>>
>> Could you explain how these patch numbers in your report are related
>> with each other?
>>

> Hello,
>
> The numbers between brackets are winehq.org bugzilla bug numbers.

Hi Olivier:

Thanks for trying to be helpful, but your answer did not respond to
the question which was about how to account for the total number of
patches in each category mentioned in these reports.

To explain further, my curiosity about this question was stimulated by
these staging "accounting" numbers from recent reports:

Version rebased upstreamed added updated predicted predicted-rebased
 	T	U	   A	 u	 P	    D

4.17	855	5	   9	 7	 n/a	    n/a
4.18	850	1	   1	 3	 855	    5
4.19	840	8	   1	 1	 843	    3
4.20	832	8	   1	 3	 833	    1
4.21	833	0	   6	 2	 838	    5

I assume the "T" column is the total number of patches in staging,
i.e., the report is only sent out when the rebasing work is completed,
but could someone confirm that?  I also assume U reduces the total
number in staging by that number, A increases the total number in
staging by that number, and u leaves the total number in staging
unchanged.  And I have used

P = T' - U - A

to calculate the predicted number of patches from one report to the next

and

D = P - T

to calculate the discrepancy between predicted and actual values where
T' is taken from the previous report and T, U and A are taken from the
current report.

In every case D is positive (P always greater than T) so I hypothesize
there is another kind of patch category not currently mentioned in the
report that explains this discrepancy (e.g., patches which the staging
developers have removed from staging). Could someone please describe
the true reason why D is always positive?

Furthermore, my view is it would be helpful if patch categories
(deletions from staging or whatever) that are currently not mentioned
in these reports should be mentioned in future reports.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project