win32 on macOS

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Thu Dec 19 16:51:10 CST 2019

On Dec 11, 2019, at 6:19 PM, Ken Thomases <ken at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Fabian Maurer <dark.shadow4 at web.de> wrote:
>>
>> is there any documentation on how the CodeWeavers solution for 32bit
>> Applications on Catalina works?
>> I'm interested in the technical details of this miracle, but there don't seem
>> to be many details out there. What I found was either on the superficial
>> level, or a bunch of speculation.
>
> Our solution involves a custom version of the Clang compiler as well as modifications to Wine.

Some folks have tried to build wine32on64 and encountered problems.  That's not surprising.

CodeWeavers' goal was, of course, to get CrossOver for Mac working on Catalina.  To that end, we cut some corners.  We didn't review all of the non-Mac, platform-specific code (e.g. "#ifdef __linux") and correct it to build in this special mode.

Similarly, we don't use the X11 driver in CrossOver on the Mac.  So, we didn't bother fixing its code.  We configure --without-x.

Wine's Vulkan code couldn't be fixed in time, so it doesn't build.  We configure --without-vulkan.

Also, we didn't get around to fixing winedbg in time, either.  We configure with --disable-winedbg.

If you use the tools from the 64-bit build of Wine when building 32-on-64-bit (--with-wine64=…), then you need to have built the 64-bit build with the custom compiler, too.

I think that's it.

-Ken